Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Radvent 2010 - Day One

(I had a whole post written up and the internet ate it. I'm positive I won't remember everything I wanted to say.)

Megan (AKA Princess Lasertron) has started what she's calling Radvent 2010, a project to post everyday about specific topics leading up to Christmas. She'll have prompts at her blog every day with topics to write about. I think it's a pretty cool idea, and what's more than that, today's topic gave me the bit of motivation I needed to start up something I've been thinking about for a while now.

radvent 2010

Today's prompt is: Remembering (PDF Link)

What were you doing five years ago today? As the holiday season began? Where were you? Who were you with? What did you want? What did you have?

December 2005 was a big month for me as far as life milestones go. As of December 1st, 2005, Matt and I had been married exactly one month. We were about to embark on a crazy month of visiting family and friends for the holiday, just like most people. But, it was our first Christmas as a married couple and we wanted to visit everyone.

My mother was still living in Warsaw, MO at the time, so that meant we had to make the 2.5 hour trip to her house, which would take an entire day. Then we'd have to split the other time between my Dad's, Matt's parents and family (2 different days), my grandparents and extended family, and our friends. Matt's friend Jim was dating my friend Anjie and we spent an evening with them and their families (who are like our own extended family). J&A got married the following year, but I don't remember if they were engaged by this time yet, though I want to say they weren't.

In December I also applied and interviewed for a NewCo (as we called it) job. It was a position that would start in January with Sprint and then carry on to the spin-off company in May. I thought the interview went well, but I wouldn't know until after the new year that I got the job with the company. That job is the one that took me from contracted employee, to full-time official employee, and it's the same job I have today, though the name of the company has changed a few times.

Overall 2005 was pretty big year for me, what with planning a wedding and getting married and everything. I think Matt and I spent a few months trying to figure the whole thing out for ourselves -- like how different (if at all) things would be for us after getting married. People expect that things have to change dramatically from dating to living together to being engaged to getting married. I think we had to adjust to the fact that nothing really needed to change for us (aside from my name and some bank accounts). The way we act and live together wasn't really changed because we got married. I don't think we had any arguments or anything like that during those first few months, I think it was just a tentative period of feeling each other out (so to speak) to see what would change.

And then here were are five years later, no kids of our own and a year into the process of becoming Foster Parents. Which brings me to the other thing I wanted to talk about, the thing that the idea of Radvent motivated me to kickstart. I'd been thinking about starting a blog to talk about our Foster Care experiences (even though we're only in the paperwork stages) and I think now is the time. My goal for 2011 is to finish the process and actually be able to say we're Foster Parents - meaning having kids in the house by the end of next year. I think we can do it, but it'll take some motivation own our part which we've seriously been lacking (for several reasons).

So, I set up The Foster Years and this'll be my first post. I'll be adding some more background and stuff throughout the month to detail our experiences building up to this point, as well as keeping up with Radvent posts. Even if it's just for me, I think it'll be worth trying to keep track of the experience

No comments:

Post a Comment