Monday, August 15, 2011

We're Official

Our official walkthrough went amazingly well.  There's always horror stories about how hard it is to pass on the first time without a bunch of corrections.  We had two minor things that she didn't count us off for, just mentioned that we'll want to take care of those things before we get placements at the ages where they would matter.  She wrote them down, but they won't stop us from getting our 0-18 license.

What I liked is that even though our worker did the same thing - this lady was able to sit down with me and talk me through all the regulations (or groups of regulations) and when I asked questions she had good answers, which our worker doesn't always have.  They each have their strengths, but when talking about regulations specifically, this was very helpful to me - and will be helpful later as we actually start taking placements.

So, that all said, we're official and our license should come in the mail very soon.

We have started receiving some emails about placements.  We tried to take two different girls (both older, one 11, one 17) but both were placed before we responded.  We've had several other emails about other kids, mostly boys that we've turned down for one reason or another.  For our first placement specifically, my husband and I are really, really trying to find someone that's a good fit for us, not just take the first kid that comes along.  It's a little stressful thinking I can't help all of these kids but I'd rather say no up front than have to tell the agency we can't handle a kid and they have to go back.  These kids have so much upset in their lives, I feel like that would be worse than not taking them at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment