Thursday, August 18, 2011

The First Kid: H

So, yesterday, one of the workers at our agency, sent us two referrals - two teenage girls.  Both of them seemed acceptable to us, so we asked about the first one.  She's a foster-to-adopt opportunity, so we were more willing to try that out (since ultimately we'd like to adopt).

She's 15 (half my age) and though I've only spent a few hours with her, she seems like a generally good and good-natured kid.  From the paperwork I've gone through, it looks like her previous foster parents may have been on the strict and conservative side of things - and this girl has been sexually active for a few years, so it looks like that was a problem for them.

My husband and I feel much less strange about that sort of thing - it's a generational and moral belief difference obviously, but we feel pretty well equipped to handle it.

Yesterday all-in-all was a pretty strange day.  The request for placement came early, but the call that she was coming to us, took a few hours.  Then, she's coming from halfway across the state, so we had to wait for a worker to drive her to us (about 4 hours I think).  So she came in late last night, and arrived with a LOT of things, which I hadn't been expecting.

Right now, things have gone well.  She seems eager to please - maybe a little more so than is normal - we're told there can be a sort of 'honeymoon' phase with some kids where they'll fit in well and be eager to please, and then start testing once they feel more comfortable.  Since she's not from the area, we're going to have to take a few days to get her enrolled in school and everything.

It's awkward right now - or I feel like it is - I don't want to hover.  And I know I can't 'make' her feel comfortable, but I think that she's adjusting well.

No comments:

Post a Comment